I've inherited a ton of my husband's old button-up shirts, and I've wanted to do something with them. There are a million projects I have in mind, and I finally got around to trying one. I found this tutorial on Pinterest, and it was very straight forward with the instructions!
Here's the shirt I started out with.
The first thing to do is cut off the sleeves.
Then cut straight across the armpits.
I sliced the sleeves open and laid them flat.
Then I cut a 3" or 4" band that was about 15" or 20" across, from each sleeve.
I folded one side up a 1/4" and ironed it flat. Repeat for the second band.
Then, I zigzag stitched the hem.
Sew the two bands together, right side to right side.
Moving onto the body. The first thing I did was sew up the front of the buttons, ensuring that it will lay flat and not peek when I'm wearing it. I used brown thread.
Next, I pinned the bodice to the band, starting with lining up the seams. For the front, I tucked in about an inch to an inch and a half into a pleat on the side. For the back, I had the material meet in the middle, and made a large pleat (probably five inches or so).
Sew it together.
For the sleeves, I took the remaining part of the shirt's actual sleeves and trimmed them roughly into rectangles.
I folded both sides up twice and ironed.
I used the same zigzag stitch to hem the sides.
I put the shirt on and fitted the sleeves in place with pins. (Having someone help you makes this much easier.)
I (poorly) zigzagged the sleeve in place.
And there you have it!
And just for fun.