Friday, July 29, 2016

Fleece Pokeball

Like most of the world, I've been enjoying playing Pokemon Go since its release a few weeks ago.  I've had a deep, deep love for Pokemon ever since the first games became available.  I must have been twelve or thirteen when I got my copy of Pokemon Red--and my life has never been the same.

Desperate for a Pokemon craft, I realized that assembly a fleece Pokeball would probably be pretty simple.  There are other ways to craft Pokeballs--from styrafoam to tiny ping pong balls--but I always use fleece by default.  It's such an easy material to work with.

So, for my first attempt (and I know there will be several more) I stuck with the average Pokeball.  That is, the red and white one.

First, I cut out a pattern of a rounded triangle, 3 inches long and 3 inches high.  (I realize now that I could have mirrored the pattern for an elongated oval and cut my sewing in half; next time.)


I cut this pattern out four times on the red fleece and four times on the white fleece.


Next, I sewed the white pieces together, right side to right side, to form a dome.




Then I repeated the same thing for the red triangles.


Putting them together, right side to right side, I stitched up their seams, leaving an inch opening.


Turn it inside out.


Stuff with Polyfill.


Hand stitch the opening.  Don't worry if it's not pretty; it'll be covered by the black band around the middle.




Next, I cut out a strip of black fleece that was a bit longer than the circumference of the Pokeball.



With a hot glue gun, I glued down one side of the black strip to the center of the Pokeball.


I glued the strip down all the way around, trimming the end for a nice finish.  Again, don't worry if it's not the prettiest because it will be covered up with the round button.


Cut out a round piece of black fleece and glue it on top of the strip.



Next, cut out a smaller white circle and glue it atop the black circle.


Not the nicest job (I got a bit crazy with the glue) but it works!  Of course, since it's cute and plushy, my doggie thinks it's for him.





~Buttons

No comments:

Post a Comment